Jim Atkinson is the Northern Arizona partner for the firm. He joined the firm in 2010 after developing a practice in Prescott, Arizona following his move there in 2001. Mr. Atkinson has over thirty-five years experience in the practice areas of community association law and business law.
Mr. Atkinson has served as an officer and director of homeowners associations for over thirty years which enables him to identify with and to understand the challenges faced by association Board members. He works closely with the Boards to help them to properly address the many legal issues Boards face and to find practical methods of addressing issues raised by association members, contractors, and developers – all within the parameters established by the association’s governing documents and applicable law.
Mr. Atkinson stresses the education of homeowner association Boards and officers, and is one of the founders of the Homeowners Association President’s Circle which meets monthly in Prescott to discuss topics of importance to association Board members. He also presents monthly firm seminars in Prescott as well as several seminars each year in Sedona and Flagstaff, Arizona.
Mr. Atkinson represents businesses of all sizes from the creation of the businesses through the sales thereof. His years as a founder and the Chief Legal Officer of Arcadia Financial, Ltd., a multi-state indirect auto finance company that grew from three to 1900 employees in six years, give him extensive experience in all the aspects of representing and operating a growing business. Mr. Atkinson also serves on the Boards of and represents many nonprofit groups in the Prescott area including the Prescott YMCA of Yavapai County.
Mr. Atkinson loves to travel and, having lived in Italy, is conversant in the Italian language.
Affiliations / Other
- Founder, Homeowners Association President’s Circle, Prescott, AZ
- Member, State Bar of Arizona
- Member / Committee-Chair, 4th of July Kiddie Parade, Kiwanis Club of Prescott, AZ
- Member / Sponsorship Committee Chair, Annual Kiwanis Auction, Kiwanis Club of Prescott, AZ
- Coach, YMCA Youth Basketball League, Prescott, AZ
- Using Protective Orders as Tools to Prevent Harassment of Association Representatives; April 24, 2012
- Don’t Forget to File Your Annual Report; December 8, 2011
- Taxation of Homeowner Associations; December 10, 2010